Pueblo Neighborhoods 1.0

May 14, 2014 at 12:30 pm  •  Posted in Geography, Pueblo by  •  26 Comments

As I described in a previous post, I want to create a more formal partition of named neighborhoods in Pueblo. That way, instead of referring to the “North Side” I can refer more precisely to a discrete parcel of land and the structures and residents within its borders.

I’ve decided to use Census Tracts as the geographic infrastructure for this project. This decision has the drawback of being inflexible in terms of accommodating the shapes and sizes of various neighborhoods as they are perceived and understood by long-term residents of Pueblo. But, in my view, the positives that come along with using a supported Census geography outweigh this negative. As you’ll see in the map below many of the Census Tract boundaries are consistent with the vernacular neighborhood definitions. For example, Aberdeen and Sunset are, in my opinion, spot-on. The East Side is a bit chopped up, Downtown is sort of too big and the Mesa Junction is cut in half. I would love to separate Goat Hill, The Grove, Bojon Town (aka Eilers) and other micro neighborhoods but, generally speaking, this seems to do the trick.

So, without further ado, here is my attempt at Pueblo Neighborhoods 1.0. Click on the map below to enlarge.

Please let me know in the comments section what you think. Don’t worry – you won’t hurt my feelings if I’ve missed the mark. Let me know what doesn’t work for you and offer alternative names as some of mine here may be overlooking historic precedent or more familiar reference points. Or maybe you just have a better, more creative name idea that will resonate with Puebloans.

Pueblo-CensusTracts-Map-Labels

Thanks for your help!

1. Scallywagsmellinass / May 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm / Reply

University Park should be renamed Scallyville.

• Justin / May 14, 2014 at 12:53 pm / Reply

You’re funny Mr. Scallywag.

2. Alex hale / June 9, 2014 at 3:10 am / Reply

My husband and I have been stalking your blog this past week eating up all information on pueblo and this map is very helpful! We are a military family and have orders for fort carson in Colorado Springs. I have fallen in love with the older homes for sale in pueblo and am actively trying to convince him that the commute to cs won’t be to bad…. Right now we are looking at the North Elizabeth & downtown area… In your opinion are these good neighborhoods? And do you have others you would recommend?

• Justin / June 9, 2014 at 6:36 pm / Reply

Thanks for stalking me! 🙂
      The historic homes on Elizabeth, Greenwood, Grand and Court between 18th and 23rd are great if you’re willing to take on the upkeep. All other worthy neighborhoods with historic homes are further south … and further from Springs.

3. vicki gleitz / June 29, 2014 at 11:34 pm / Reply

can you please give me a little information on ‘the Blocks?”

• Justin / June 30, 2014 at 11:11 am / Reply

Sure, let me think about how to do this most effectively. Might be worthy of a full blog post. Best, Justin

4. Jacque / July 17, 2014 at 8:27 am / Reply

Justin,
    My son, his wife and their 2 yr old are planning on relocating to Pueblo. I am going into semi-retirement and will be spending some of the year with them. I am an avid hiker and have hiked a lot of the SW so Pueblo is appealing to me. On their limited budget- we are looking at a home currently that is situated on Mitchell Park. The street view looks like it is an OK area- but it is East. It is about 2 miles from the river walk. Can you comment on the park and the area? I wouldn’t want my granddaughter living in a dangerous area.
    Thanks, Jacque

• Justin / October 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm / Reply

Hi Jacque – I’m so sorry I missed this, somehow slipped through the cracks. In any case, Mitchell Park is right in the heart of the East Side. I love the East Side but it’s a pretty tough neighborhood in terms of crime. The park is probably not safe at night and your son’s family might want to look elsewhere if safety is a primary concern. That said, the East Side is one of the most affordable neighborhoods you’ll find and I know people who are very happy living there. Hope this helps! Best wishes, Justin

5. vicky gleitz / October 28, 2014 at 4:03 pm / Reply

I wish the streets were labeled and numbered. My sons house in in the 1700 block of east 13th street. Does that put him in the upper east side? [btw, the neighbors on the block are sweet, old, and quiet]

• Justin / October 29, 2014 at 11:28 am / Reply

Hi Vicky, yes, his house in the Upper East Side neighborhood. I will work on a better map for easier orientation. Glad to hear your son has good neighbors! Best, JH

6. JennyfromtheMesa / January 9, 2015 at 8:51 pm / Reply

Looking to move into town, what is your opinion of the area from 29th down off Elizabeth?

• Justin / January 11, 2015 at 1:41 pm / Reply

Hi Jenny – I like the “North Elizabeth”, “Big Hill” and “Country Club” neighborhoods but there are rough spots here and there. Some terrific stuff near Mineral Palace Park; if you like older homes with architectural charm this is one of your best bets. You can find major bargains between 24th-29th and between Elizabeth and High Streets. This sub neighborhood is sometimes called “the Avenues”. Prices are lower because the housing stock isn’t great and some blocks are pretty run down. But there are some gems. Tough to make specific recommendations without more information. Depends a lot on your personal situation but hopefully this helps a little bit. Best, Justin

7. Kelly Maddy / January 16, 2015 at 12:10 am / Reply

Followed your blog for some time, moving off of 29th and Skyview Ave. by the end of the month. Any input on that area? Seemed clean and decently safe.

• Justin / January 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm / Reply

Hi Kelly, I think it’s a good area. Not far from Centennial High for park-like green space. Convenient location. I would try not to be too too close to 29th as it’s a major artery (by Pueblo standards) for both vehicle and pedestrian traffic. I think it will be perfectly safe but you’ll still need to take precautions to avoid petty crime. Get a security system. Keep your garage door closed. Etc. Hope it works for you! Thanks for following my blog! Best, Justin

8. Pingback: Home of Heroes or Land Where Homes of Heroes are used for Public Extortion? | Geographical Perspectives

9. hk / September 25, 2016 at 6:30 pm / Reply

Hello Justin,
    I have been looking to retire visited the pueblo area and liked it but as i read. I am reading that it has the highest crime in Colorado what areas should we avoid. I would like a older home with solid structure that i can update with a basement in a nice safe area.

• Justin / September 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm / Reply

Hi HK,
      The toughest areas of town (most crime) are probably Lower Eastside, Outer Eastside, Lower Bessemer, East Mesa and South Prairie. That said, I know people who live quite happily in those very neighborhoods. For older homes I like North Elizabeth, Mesa Junction and Orman Park. All depends of course on your budget and what’s available for sale/rent on the market. We currently have a tight market with very little inventory.
      Best wishes,

10. Melanie Lovell / September 26, 2016 at 2:19 pm / Reply

Thanks for all your help on my search! I’ve read questions about “The Blocks” and you mentioned The Avenues, and I wondered if you knew a resource where one could go to get this information/local color/history (stuff you wouldn’t necessarily find from a historical society), other than pestering a local to death, haha).

Thanks again,

Melanie

• Justin / September 27, 2016 at 10:14 am / Reply

I’m not aware of any such resource, aside from locals and real estate agents. 🙂

11. melanie lovell / September 27, 2016 at 10:54 am / Reply

I did find some Pueblo color/background on http://www.city-data.com from some locals, if anyone is interested!

12. Jane / October 7, 2016 at 8:16 am / Reply

I’m curious about how the legalization of marijuana has had an impact on Pueblo. I recently read an article about the “pot refugees” in pueblo, primarily young people who have moved there without jobs or a place to stay. I’m disabled and my husband works from home and we’re interested in moving to Pueblo within the next year or two and will be visiting later this month.

• Justin / October 7, 2016 at 9:43 am / Reply

Difficult to say. I doubt the article had more than anecdotal evidence about these so-called pot refugees. There are also plenty of financially stable people moving to Colorado, including to Pueblo, to be part of a legal environment. Of course, that sort of reporting doesn’t sell as many ads so we won’t see it anytime soon.

Overall, I’d say legalization has had a strong positive economic impact on Pueblo. Real estate where growing can take place legally has been gobbled up. New construction projects to build retail, warehouse, grow operations, etc have all had positive impacts. And of course there are the millions of dollars in new tax revenue and the 1300+ new jobs that have been created, so far, in Pueblo County.

Some of the fools at Citizens for a Healthy (and hypocritical) Pueblo will tell you otherwise. But, in my personal opinion, they’ve been so bamboozled by a lifetime of war on drugs propaganda that they are willfully ignorant about marijuana relative to other legal substances. Hospitals prescribe opiates like handing out candy and take no responsibility for the heroine epidemic. Yet marijuana is the threat to public health? Give me a break.

Okay, off the soap box. Hope your move to Pueblo goes well!

Best wishes,

13. Mary / October 10, 2016 at 1:44 am / Reply

We are a retired couple looking to buy a home in Pueblo. We are on a tight budget ($1500 a month), and we need to move very quickly because our home in Houston is already sold. I have found that many of the advertised homes are already under contract. However, we found a nice looking house in an area called Skyview, across from Irving Elementary. All the crime reports are scaring me. Is this a safe neighborhood for a retired couple?

• Justin / October 10, 2016 at 9:42 am / Reply

Hi Mary,
      Skyview is pretty good but I’m thinking of the neighborhood bounded by 29th St. and Baltimore, just south of Centennial High School. If the house you’re considering is near Irving Elementary then you’re on the West Side and I can’t recommend the location as a good neighborhood for a retired couple. Hope this helps.
      Best wishes,

14. Lynne Cownie / October 15, 2016 at 4:21 pm / Reply

Hi Justin. I am looking for a new home for my two children and myself. A friend recently recommended moving to Colorado. When I mentioned this to my osteopath, her response was, “That would be so great for you!!!”. Well, that sealed the deal. I am on disability, so it doesn’t much matter where we live. I owned a Victorian house here in Iowa which had been carved into apartments in the 1940’s. I did most of the work myself taking it back to a single-family home. I am looking forward to finding another “fixer-upper” in Pueblo. I’m going to avoid the lower east side, but there seem to be quite a few houses for sale on the east side. I hope we can find something reasonably priced in an area without too much crime, but “fixer-uppers” seem to usually be in disadvantaged neighborhoods. We are really looking forward to this move, and beginning a new chapter in our lives. Hope to see you at the grocery store!

• Justin / October 16, 2016 at 7:44 pm / Reply

Hi Lynne,
      I hope Pueblo works for you! There are plenty of older homes in need of some TLC. If you’re patient I’m sure you can find a good deal, especially if you’re willing to put in some sweat equity. Look in the North Elizabeth, Mesa Junction and Orman Park areas for older homes. Good luck with the move! I try to avoid shopping at all costs but maybe I’ll see you in a coffee shop – I love Solar Roast and the Daily Grind. Best wishes, Justin