Justin Holman is CEO of TerraSeer, where he leads efforts to develop cutting edge sales forecasting and inventory optimization technology for the Automotive Aftermarket. Prior to joining TerraSeer, Justin managed corporate consulting for the Strategy & Analytics division at MapInfo Corporation, leading major projects for retail clients including The Home Depot, Darden Restaurants, Bridgestone-Firestone, Sainsbury’s and New York & Company. Before that, Justin served as Vice President of Software Development at LogicTools, now part of IBM's supply chain application software group. Justin holds a B.A. from Claremont McKenna College, a Ph.D. from the University of Oregon and an Executive Management certificate from Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.

• Rob Beutner 5 years ago

Great Article!

A good example of a person in this profession is Dr. Peter Rogerson – SUNY at Buffalo. http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~rogerson/

Not much there on the page unfortunately – but someone that has melded statistics and geography in very meaningful ways.

• Justin 5 years ago

Thanks, Rob! I agree that Peter Rogerson is one of the key figures in this area. And Buffalo may now be the very best program to attend especially if you’re interested in spatial statistics and health, because of a strong faculty including Dr. Rogerson, Jared Aldstadt, Eun-Hye Enki Yoo, and, beginning this fall, Geoffrey Jacquez.

• Dan Putler 5 years ago

Good article Justin. The timing was good for your mentioning of Alteryx as a tool for spatial statistics. In the current release of Alteryx there is a tool to access R within an Alteryx module. We are currently working on major enhancements in terms of ease of use and reading and writing Alteryx spatial *.yxdb format files into R sp class (spatial) objects that will be coming out in the upcoming 7.1 release of Alteryx. In addition, we are working on PMML based approaches within Alteryx to make integration of statistical model results into business processes seamless.

• Justin 5 years ago

Dan, thank you for the comment and for the latest on integration with R. Please keep me posted. Is there a free trial or a demo that I could see?

• Dan Putler 5 years ago

The first set of the enhanced R tools will be part of the 7.1 release which is scheduled for late June. The tools fit into the Alteryx visual programming canvas and aren’t stand alone. What this means is that someone interested in them can trial them as part of a 30 day trial of Alteryx 7.1 when it is released. An initial demo of some of the tools was included as part (the last third) of a recorded webinar describing the new features in Alteryx 7.0. The webinar can be accessed through: http://pages.alteryx.com/Alteryx-7.0-Webinar.html

Closer to the Alteryx 7.1 release, I will be doing a number of preview blogs and video demos for the new R-based tools.

• Justin 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing these details, Dan! Keep me posted as 7.1 gets closer.

• James Norris 5 years ago

Hi Justin,

I’m always happy to see articles like this being posted by experienced spatial statisticians and spatial analysts. Assuming that an individual has acquired the necessary education and skill sets, I believe that your most important point is that of being able to communicate effectively – specifically, what does a spatial statistician do? Being able to simplify what many consider to be scary mathematics is a skill set that many scientists have not mastered outside of academia. In industry, supervisors and co-workers need to gain a basic understanding of standard spatial analytical processes. By utilizing appropriate visualization tools, and using metaphors to explain the science side, they can recognize the tangible outputs, and respect what you do. Thanks again for the article.

• Justin 5 years ago

Thanks, James! I appreciate the feedback!

• Geospatial Database Administrator | Geographical Perspectives 5 years ago

[…] Analyst, as a Cartography/Visualization Specialist, a Geographic Information Scientist and a Spatial Statistician.   In this post I will describe how to prepare for a career as a Geospatial database administrator […]

• Theresa 5 years ago

Hi, Justin. Your articles on spatial careers are the most useful guides I have found.

A few years ago I discovered I have a love and aptitude for mathematics. I also have had an increasing obsession with physical geography and environmental science. My background is in a completely unrelated field, but I’ve started taking the first steps toward a career change by completing some GIS and math classes at the local community college. Your articles really helped orient me to the various geospatial career paths. I’ve been considering focusing on geospatial statistics, and I’m now more than ever convinced that pairing an MS in Geography with a Graduate Certificate in Statistics is the way to go for me. I am fortunate that both programs are offered at our local state university. Thanks for the great information!

• Justin 5 years ago

Theresa, Thanks for posting the positive feedback – I’m so glad to hear my blog has been helpful! Sounds like you’re making some good moves with coursework and degree planning. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. Best of luck with your career change and please keep me posted along the way.
      Cheers, Justin

• May 5 years ago

Hi Justin, thank you. This spatial career guide helps me to decide my career direction. I am a graduate student majoring in GIS, and I am interested in Spatial Statistics. Recently, I started to search for jobs online using key words “Spatial Statistics”, but there are very limited search results. Could you give some practical guide for looking for jobs in this area? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Justin 5 years ago

Hi May – I’m glad this has been helpful. For statistics type jobs you’re probably better off searching with keywords “statistics” and “GIS” (or geographic, geospatial, etc). Another approach would be to search using your technical skill set; so searching for jobs that involve “SAS”, “SPSS”, “R” and “ArcGIS” or whatever software tools you use. Yet another approach would be to look for jobs with the title “Data Scientist”. Unfortunately, as a geographer, you’ll have to educate most employers as to what you can offer with your GIS/geography training. I’m confident that this area will grow but the term “spatial statistician” may not really be relevant. I think Data Scientist or Geographic Data Scientist is probably more likely to catch on. Good luck! Cheers, J.

• BThomas 3 years ago

Excellent post. I have a B.A/M.A in geography with an emphasis in remote sensing and physical geography. Unfortunately, the job market for my skill set isn’t good. Most remote sensing job posts require security clearance and/or 10 years experience and the environmental science jobs require more of a geology background with multiple certifications. I do have 2 years worth of statistics courses under my belt as well as one calculus course – “Applied Calculus I”. I use statistics all the time and I really enjoy exploring and analyzing datasets using R and SPSS. I have decided that I would like to pursue a career in this field since the applications are limitless. Will a certificate in statistics be enough to land a job or should I take more math courses at a community college?

• Justin 3 years ago

I think a certificate in statistics would be useful. You’ll want to take more advanced courses than a local community college would likely offer so you might want to look at online offerings unless you have convenient access to a major University. Look for offerings from the Economics department (Econometrics) or the Business School (Applied Regression) as well as the math/statistics department. Another option is to simply train yourself using books and online tutorials to expand your skills using R and SPSS. Sounds like you’re on a great path to becoming a Data Scientist, arguably the hottest career path currently available. Best wishes, Justin

• Tchen 3 years ago

This post is really helpful to me as a statistics practitioner with great interest in GIS. I have printed this post, and keep it for career goal reference.

FYI, Dr. Cressie is moving back to Australia, no longer in OSU.

• Justin 3 years ago

Glad to hear the post is helpful – thanks! Yes, I had heard the news regarding Professor Cressie. Despite that OSU remains a top program so far as I can tell. Thanks for posting your comments! Cheers, Justin

• lucas 2 years ago

Hei! great post!
    I am an economist with a master in statistics and a passion for spatial data, handling in R. What about spatial econometrics?? Would you suggest some particular path? I´ve done carreer in financial audit and SAP but I do want to switch to spatial analysis….spatial econometrics.
    thanks again!!

• Justin 2 years ago

Hi Lucas,
      Your best bet would be to study at Arizona State under Luc Anselin, who wrote the book on spatial econometrics. You might also look at UT-Dallas and possibly Buffalo.
      Best wishes,

• Zaky Musyarof 2 years ago

Hi Mr. Holman.
    This post is helpful to me, thank you very much.
    I am an undergraduate of Statistics from a university in Indonesia. I am very interested to further my education if the field of Spatial/Environmental Statistics. I browsed the Spatial Statistics & Environmental Statistics (SSES) program at Ohio State University, it had closed. In a linear master program, do you have any advice for me to continue my education?

• Justin 2 years ago

Hi Zaky,
      The director of the program and the godfather of spatial statistics, Noel Cressie, left Ohio State and moved to the University of Wollongong in New Zealand. He’s set up a similar program there called the Center for Environmental Informatics: http://niasra.uow.edu.au/cei/index.html
      That would be a good place to start. Another strategy would be to read some of Cressie’s more recent publications and find where his co-authors work.
      There should be more of these types of programs. Maybe there are and I just don’t know about them. Let me know what you find.
      Best wishes,

• Anthony Pezzotti 1 year ago

Mr. Holman,

Of all the career guides, the spatial statistics career path is the one that interests me the most. My background includes a Master’s of science in geology, GIS certificate completed during masters degree, and 5 years working in the environmental consulting industry. Given my background, are there any practical steps I can take to do work in this field? My plan so far includes: 1) build up my technical proficiency in various GIS and statistics concepts and software (learning phase), 2) look for opportunities in my industry (not much GIS use in my company) that incorporate more GIS analysis, 3) build a portfolio of various projects I’ve worked on (freelance, volunteer, self projects). I also know that gaining some programming proficiency will be important.

I can’t go back for a MS in statistics right now (money and time constraints), but would a statistics certification be something worthwhile to look into (e.g. statistics.com offers online certifications, also there are data science certifications that could be useful).

Thanks,

Anthony Pezzotti
    Geologist

• Justin 1 year ago

Hi Anthony,
      I think your plan makes some sense but I would start with the programming piece. My advice would be to learn Python and check out the “PySal” module. Maybe get a taste of R too. To me this would be the most efficient path to marketability in the data science world. I wouldn’t pursue any further degrees or certificates but the portfolio idea is good.
      Best wishes,