Introduction to Advanced Statistics Online
January 10, 2021
This course will consist of eight one-week modules, each module beginning Monday and ending the following Sunday. Each week you are responsible for contributing to Discussion forums in Bb and for completing an Assignment. I will provide descriptions and resources here each week and I will make an Announcement on Bb each time a new module post appears. Typically, I will also post one or more video lectures each week.
Here’s an introductory video.
Here’s a link to the course syllabus and below I’m providing some general guidelines for the asynchronous online format.
No Textbook! Don’t buy one. I use my own material.
- Each week you will earn up to 20 points by contributing to the discussion forums on Bb.
- Ask a question or share something you learned that saved you time or helped you understand the material. The idea is to be curious and promote understanding.
- Don’t regurgitate or summarize the material unless it’s part of a question or helpful insight.
- Submit comments or questions during the week, no later than Friday. If you wait until Sat or Sun your input won’t help you or anyone else. (That said, better late than never for scoring).
- Don’t login only once a week, make a few comments and logout 10 min later. I’ll notice if you’re doing the bare minimum.
- Don’t skip Discussion all together. If I see nothing, you’ll get 0/20.
- Follow instructions.
- If I ask you to submit something via Bb or via Google Forms don’t email it instead. Grading is time consuming and handling special cases wastes my time.
- Pay attention to format. If I ask you to submit an .xlsx file, don’t send a .pdf or other format.
- Make it easy for me to identify where you are answering a question. If I can’t find it you may not get credit.
- If you’re not sure what to do to complete an assignment, post a question on the discussion board! That’s the whole idea! Or you can send me an email if you prefer not to broadcast. Of course, this requires that you think about the assignment before 10p on Sunday.