Exam #1 Practice
September 16, 2013
To prepare for Exam #1 tomorrow I would suggest spending time understanding the concepts listed by Chapter in the Exam #1 Review. In addition, I would suggest spending time practicing these tasks (the 14 listed below) using the various data sets in the black_7e_excel_database or other data sets in the text.
- Construct a stem-and-leaf plot.
- Construct a frequency distribution table.
- Draw a histogram.
- Calculate the class midpoints for the bins in the histogram
- Draw a cumulative frequency distribution curve.
- Calculate the mean.
- Calculate the median.
- Calculate the mode.
- Calculate the range.
- Calculate the mean absolute deviation (MAD).
- Calculate the variance.
- Calculate the standard deviation.
- What percent of values are within 1 or 2 standard deviations of the mean?
- Assuming the data are approximately normally distributed, what percent of values should be within 2 standard deviations of the mean according to the Empirical Rule?