Thu, Jan 21
- Guns, Germs and Steel – Episode 1
Jared Diamond’s theories on economic development presented in Guns, Germs & Steel
- Not much economic disparity during Hunter-Gatherer times
- Agricultural Revolution in the Fertile Crescent
- Why the fertile crescent? Wheat, Climate, Livestock
- Food Surplus allowed specialization and technology development
- Farming, animal domestication, steel, weapons
- Imagine the transition from hunter to farmer to technologist
- Geographic dissemination
- Eurasia facilitated dissemination in comparable climates
- Not so in Americas, Africa
- Fertile Crescent was a “hot spot”
- Where are other hot spots through history?
- Where are the hot spots today?