For Exam #3 you need to be prepared to answer questions on the following topics.
Ch. 4 Probability
- Define Experiment, Event, Independent Events, Mutually Exclusive Events
- Define and calculate Sample Space
- Build and interpret Joint Probability Tables
Ch. 6.2 Normal Distribution
- Z-Scores – what are Z-scores, how are they calculated, how are they used.
- Know how to use the Z-score look up table (page 193 or 794).
- Calculating probabilities using the normal distribution curve.
Ch. 8 Statistical Inference
- Point Estimate
- Interval Estimate
- Confidence Intervals
- Use equation 8.1 (p. 260) to determine confidence intervals when standard deviation is known.
- Use the t-statistic and understand how to use look up table with degrees of freedom (p. 795)
- Use equation 8.3 (p. 269) to determine confidence intervals when standard deviation is unknown.
- Know how to estimate sample size using equation 8.7 (p. 281)
Ch. 9 Hypothesis Testing
- Null Hypothesis
- Alternative Hypothesis
- Rejection Region
- Type I and Type II Error
- Use of z-test and t-test in hypothesis testing
Like previous exams I will provide any necessary equations and/or look up tables (no need to memorize). But, you should be able to identify terms and what they represent.