I didn’t receive as many survey responses as I’d hoped but as the academic year comes to an end it feels like an appropriate time to post the Top Geography Department survey results. If you’re interested in participating, the survey is still available.
As noted in the preliminary survey results post, there are significant differences between the survey results and the NRC rankings. At some point I may produce my own ranking with a combination of NRC and survey results. But, I want to give the methodology some more thought and, hopefully, gather more survey responses. In the meantime, here are your Top 20 Geography Departments:
- University of California – Santa Barbara
- Penn State University
- University of Colorado – Boulder
- Ohio State University
- Arizona State University
- University of Wisconsin – Madison
- University of California – Los Angeles
- University of Maryland – College Park
- Boston University
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- University of Oregon
- Clark University
- University of Washington – Seattle
- San Diego State University
- University of California – Berkeley
- University of Kentucky
- University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
- Texas A&M
- University of Texas – Austin
- State University of New York – Buffalo
In addition, I’ve compiled a list of programs that received a number of votes but didn’t make the top 20. Honorable mention departments include:
Oregon State, Utah, South Carolina, Arizona, Tennessee, Michigan State, Iowa, Syracuse, Texas State, Illinois, and USC.
I’m hoping to get more input from the academic community in subsequent surveys. And I’ve received several suggestions that I hope to incorporate in my next installment.
Thank you to those who participated in the survey!