Lesson 20: Immigration Policy and US Intervention in Central America
April 2, 2020
Join class online!
- Go to uberconference.com/jh2020 to attend class at 11:15!
- For audio only you can dial 719-299-2578
- Covid-19 Mortality in the US
- Oil Prices up after Trump Tweet
by George Friedman of Geopolitical FuturesDownload
- Intro to Harvest of Empire (03:00-4:10)
- Premise: US interventions in Latin America have resulted in increased levels of emigration/immigration
- El Salvador (1:07:30-1:18:45)
- Salvadoran Military
- Guatemala (11:40-18:30)
- Post-WWII had progressive government enacting land reform
- CIA infiltration and overthrow of government
- Brutal repression of political opponents and indigenous population
- Over 200,000 killed and 50,000 missing during decades of turmoil
- Majority of victims were indigenous Mayan
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Rigoberta Menchu
- Documented evidence that death squads were supported and trained by CIA
- Did these interventions contribute to today’s instability in the region?
- Does the US have any legal/moral obligation to accept immigrants from the region?
- Have a good weekend