Exam 2: Part 1 Take-Home Assignment

November 9, 2016 at 10:28 am  •  Posted in f16-busad265 by  •  7 Comments

Instructions for Exam 2 Part 1

Due in class on Wed, Nov 16

Download Sampling Distribution Data corresponding to the last digit of your PID

For each vote total and % estimate from the special election assignment, test the null hypothesis that the actual results (shown below) are equal to the sampling distribution mean and proportions.

Ho: μ = (substitute the mean vote total or % vote from below)

Ha: μ ≠ (substitute the mean vote total or % vote downloaded from the Sampling Distribution Data)

σ = standard deviation downloaded from the Sampling Distribution Data

n = 32

α = 0.05

• POTUS vote total: 60,117
  • Senate vote total: 59,679
  • 3rd Congressional vote total: 60,125

Ho: p0 = (substitute the mean % vote from below)

Ha: p0 ≠ (substitute the mean % vote from below)

p-hat = downloaded from the Sampling Distribution Data

σ = standard deviation downloaded

n = 32

α = 0.05

• Clinton: 46.48%
  • Trump: 46.15%
  • Bennet: 52.34%
  • Glenn: 43.08%
  • Tipton: 53.36%
  • Schwartz: 41.27%
  • Ballot Measure 200: 44.37%

1. Pingback: Lesson 20: Significance Testing for Proportions | Geographical Perspectives

2. Carrie Holm / November 13, 2016 at 6:41 pm / Reply

Dr. Holman,

I am a bit confused regarding the exam. I know it is supposed to be 10 hypothesis tests. But I am unclear of which formulas I need for what. Am I doing one-tail or two-tail tests or am I doing the ones like we did in class on Wednesday? I am really lost.

• Justin / November 13, 2016 at 7:19 pm / Reply

Hi Carrie,
      We can review tomorrow in class. Don’t worry. I will be sure all your questions are answered.
      Best,
      JH

3. Adam Lange / November 15, 2016 at 5:29 pm / Reply

Dr. Holman,
    What are we supposed to do with the POTUS, Senate, and CD3 columns and does the top row represent averages and the bottom row represent the standard deviation?

• Justin / November 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm / Reply

Hi Adam,
      The POTUS, Senate and CD3 columns have estimated vote count based on a sampling distribution. Yes, the top row contains average estimate and the bottom row is the standard deviation. Your task is to conduct a hypothesis test to see if estimate is significantly different than the actual vote count. Hope this helps.
      Best,
      JH

4. Cheyanne / November 15, 2016 at 8:47 pm / Reply

I’m confused on what equation we’re supposed to use to figure this out.

• Justin / November 16, 2016 at 9:16 am / Reply

I’m confused about why you didn’t start on the take home assignment until the night before it’s due.