Part 1 – Take Home Instructions
Due date: Wed Sep 16th
Download: GDP-Fertility Data
The last digit of your PID determines which column of data you will use for the exam. If your PID ends in 3 your assigned column is “Dataset 3”. If your PID ends in 4 your assigned column is “Dataset 4”. And so on.
Your assigned column has either a 1 or a 0 in each row. You will include each Country listed with a 1 in your assigned column. Please omit the countries with a 0.
Each country is part one of 3 Regions: (1) the Americas, (2) Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) and (3) Asia Pacific. Use the “Filter” or “Sort” feature to separate your countries by region.
You will analyze the GDP Per Capita data for each of the three regions separately. So, you must complete the following steps 3 times, once for each region.
- Create a Stemplot
- Create two Histograms using a different “Bucket size” for each
- Calculate Quartiles Q1, Q2 and Q3
- Create a Box Plot
- Calculate the Mean, Median and Standard Deviation
- Create a 1-page visual summary for comparing all 3 regions.
- Write a 1 page “Executive Summary” analyzing observed regional differences and similarities. What story are the data telling you?
In total, you will prepare 3-5 pages (no more than 5) and submit a print copy in class on Wed Sep 16th. Print copies should be well organized, neat and easy to read. You may use Google Sheets or Excel to complete the analysis. You may also complete the work by hand if you prefer. Either way, appearance, legibility and written communication all count. If your report is sloppy or difficult to read your grade will suffer.